I use the feature regularly for long error messages, and when combined with
.format() or % it's not so easy to replace it with a + (it would require
adding parentheses).

So I am against formally discouraging it or adding something to PEP 8.

However linters could warn about lists of comma-separated strings with a
missing comma.