On 14/04/2018 06:27, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 14 April 2018 at 13:28, Ken Hilton <kenlhil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First of all, please excuse me if I'm presenting this idea in the wrong way
>> or at the wrong time - I'm new to this mailing list and haven't seen anyone
>> propose a new idea on it yet, so I don't know the customs.
>>
>> I have an idea for importing files with arbitrary names. Currently, the
>> "official" way to import arbitrary files is to use the "imp" module, as
>> shown by this answer: https://stackoverflow.com/a/3137914/6605349
>> However, this method takes two function calls and is not as (aesthetically
>> pleasing? is that the word?) as a simple "import" statement.
>
> Modules aren't required to be stored on the filesystem, so we have no
> plans to offer this.
>
> `runpy.run_path()` exists to let folks run arbitrary Python files and
> collect the resulting namespace, while if folks really want to
> implement pseudo-imports based on filenames we expose the necessary
> building blocks in importlib
> (https://docs.python.org/3/library/importlib.html#importing-a-source-file-directly)
>
> The fact that run_path() has a nice straightforward invocation model,
> and the import emulation recipe doesn't is intended as a hint :)
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

I generally love the current import system for "just working" regardless
of platform, installation details, etc., but what I would like to see is
a clear import local, (as opposed to import from wherever you can find
something to satisfy mechanism). This is the one thing that I miss from
C/C++ where #include <x> is system includes and #include "x" search
differing include paths, (if used well).

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.

---