On 2018-07-19 06:38, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
*Its just spelling*. If it is a useful and well-defined feature, we'll
get used to the spelling soon enough.

That's not to say that spelling is not important *at all*, or that we
should never prefer words to symbols. But if the only objection we have
is "this is useful but I don't like the spelling so -1" then that's
usually a pretty weak argument against the feature.

        But we already have a spelling for the most common case.  It is:

x = a if a is not None else b

That is the only use case of any of these operators that is actually common enough for me to care about --- but it's still not common enough to warrant the creation of a new operator, let alone multiple new operators.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."