[Steven D'Aprano]

> Just because I challenge your statements doesn't mean I'm attacking you.

No. Telling me I'm having an extreme overreaction means you're attacking
me. Pushing the narrative that I'm irrational by enumerating the least
charitable interpretations of my words possible then claiming you were just
discussing *ideas* is disingenuous. I don't know who you think you're
kidding, Steven. You could have simply asked me what I meant. It would have
been much easier. All those extra words serve a very clear purpose and
everyone knows it, so you can stop acting "sad and worried" when someone
calls you out.

I explained my position on lambda as fully as I care to in my response to
Niel if you care to read it. I only think lambda harms Python in so far as
there were better alternatives that communicate their intention much better
and are more readable. That's an opinion. If you must know, i'm not
currently frothing at the mouth as I state it.

My original post was agreeing with you. Supporting your own words. If you
don't agree with my position that we should avoid jargon for jargon's sake,
then what exactly did you mean when you said, "although possibly a less
jargon name would be nicer?" Can you articulate why you think it might be
nicer to use a less jargon name? What about my saying it all of a sudden
makes it an "extreme overreaction"?

[Steven D'Aprano]

> You've said that the choice of keyword, "lambda", has caused harm. Given
> the chance to clarify what you meant, you stood by your comment that the
> choice of keyword "lambda" has done real, significant, non-trivial harm
> to Python (the language, or the community).

What are you talking about? I explained exactly what I meant:

I think there are better ways that anonymous functions could have been
> implemented.  I've already said in past discussions, I think the expression
> should come before the signature because the signature is often obvious
> from context so placing it before the logic is kinda noisy. I don't know
> what the best syntax would have been, but I refuse to believe that an
> esoteric word from an esoteric branch of calculus with an arbitrary
> etymology was the absolute best choice available. I think the harm that
> choice caused is relatively minor, but I don't think it was a great choice.

Notice: I never said "real, significant, non-trivial harm" anywhere in this
entire discussion. I never said anything close to that. Stop jamming
bullshit in my mouth to suit your narrative that I'm "extremely
overreacting". It's not cute.

[Steven D'Aprano]

> This is a genuine question. I'm trying to understand your comments, not just
> dismiss them.

If you're so genuinely interested, then how come you couldn't be bothered
to read my explaination above?

[Steven D'Aprano]

> Presumably you fear the same thing will happen again if we choose
> "partial" (otherwise, why raise the issue?).

There is no issue. I've already conceded that. Please read the conversation
that followed with Neil Girdhar. I was simply stating a preference and
trying to articulate my reasoning behind that preference.

My whole intent was to +1 your alternative and say "I prefer given to
partial". That's it.

[Steven D'Aprano]

> Python does have a long-standing tradition of sticking to mostly English
> words, a tradition for which I personally am grateful.

I am too. I'd like that to continue.

[Steven D'Aprano]

> But we ought to "check our privilege", as they say. I think that if we
> as a community automatically reject any word because it isn't "plain
> English", that would be a sign of unexamined privilege and quite rude to
> boot.

Rude? Who would it be rude to if we had chosen "anonfunc" instead of
"lambda"?

[Steven D'Aprano]

> How can we insist that 3/4 of the world learn English words to use Python

Do you really think that 3/4 of the world learns English just to write
Python? Do you think the only english they learn are the built-ins and
standard library of Python? English is a dominant language in business and
programming. That statement is no more "privileged" than the statement that
the US Dollar is the most popular global reserve currency. It's a fact that
I have no control over.

[Steven D'Aprano]

> ...if we aren't even willing to move out of our own comfort zone to
> the extent of learning accurate jargon terms from our own profession?

Very few of us are computer scientists by profession. That's not even where
'lambda' comes from. In computer science, it's called an "anonymous
function". "lambda" comes from lambda calculus.

[Steven D'Aprano]

> If we go down this path... and choose "given" over "partial", we ought to
> be
> clear about the reasons why.

I gave my reasons: it's shorter and less jargon while remaining fairly
clear (in my opinion)

You've already claimed that "possibly a less jargon name would be nicer",
so I don't see the fuss. Apparently it's extreme when I say it.