On 2018-09-28 05:23, David Mertz wrote:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018, 9:25 PM Marko Ristin-Kaufmann
<marko.ris...@gmail.com <mailto:marko.ris...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Try to question whether the contracts I wrote are so obvious to
    everybody even if they are obvious to you and keep in mind that the
    user does not look into the implementation.

I had missed this comment, but this seems to be the biggest disconnect,
or talking past each other.

I'm a user of many libraries. I USUALLY look at the implementation when
in doubt about a function. If contracts are meant only for users who
don't look at code, the detrimental effect on code readability is mitigated.

I agree with you that this seems to be a major disconnect in the discussion here. However, on the issue itself, I quite agree with Marko that it is *much* more important for the documentation to be readable than for the function to be readable. I too read the source of functions sometimes, and whenever I find myself having to do so, I grouse at the authors of whatever libraries I'm using for not making the documentation more clear. Ideally, no user should *ever* have to read the function source code, because the documentation should make it completely clear how to use the function without knowing *anything* about how it is implemented.

Of course, this ideal will never be achieved, but I think it's something to aim towards, and the idea that adding a few lines of DbC decorators makes the source code too cluttered seems quite incorrect to me. I glanced through the source code and didn't find it hard to read at all. The contracts are all cleanly separated from the function bodies because they're in decorators up front. I'm frankly quite baffled that other people on this thread find that hard to read.

The problem with reading the source code is that you can't tell what parts of the behavior are specified and which are implementation details. The appeal of something like DbC is that it encourages (some might say painfully forces) programmers to be very explicit about what behavior they want to guarantee.

Whether writing these guarantees as Python expressions is better than writing them as prose is another matter. Personally I do see some value in the modifications that Marko made to pathlib. In a sense, writing "documentation as Python code" is like annotating the source code to mark which specific parts of the implementation are guarantees and which may be implementation details. I think there is significant value in knowing precisely what an API allows, in an explicit and verifiable form such as that provided by DbC, rather than using human language, which is much less precise, can leave room for misinterpretation, and, perhaps most importantly, is harder to verify automatically.

Ultimately, I'm firmly of the opinion that, in publicly distributed code, the function *IS* its documentation, not its source code. When a function's actual behavior conflicts with its documented behavior, that is a bug. When meaningful aspects of a functions behavior are not specified in the documentation, that is also a bug. These may be bugs in the documentation or in the behavior, but either way the point is that reading the source code is not an acceptable substitute for making the documentation a complete and self-sufficient vehicle for total understanding of the function's behavior. It doesn't matter if the function behaves as the author intended; it only matters if it behaves as documented.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."