Text in color or against black backgrounds is harder to read than black on
white.
See for example:
https://trevellyan.biz/graphic-design-discussion-how-color-and-contrast-affect-readability-2/

Text where different words in the same sentence are in different colors is
even harder to read.

And I think we should totally ban anyone on the web from putting light gray
text on a lighter gray background
(see https://www.wired.com/2016/10/how-the-web-became-unreadable/ for a
good discussion).

Or to say that another way:
I think we should totally ban anyone on the web from putting light gray
text on a lighter gray background!!

But many of us use editors that use color for syntax highlighting and we do
that because projecting semantics onto the color axis works for us. So we
don't ban colorizing text and we shouldn't.

Capitalizing constants may be slightly harder to read but constants in code
are the minority and emphasizing them is precisely the point.

I'm MINUS_ONE on changing PEP 8. Make your own styleguide if you don't want
to follow PEP 8 in your code.

--- Bruce