[ChrisA]

> Nobody is saying that the *entire document* should be in all caps.

I've never claimed as much. Most of the reasons all caps harm readability
hold true whether you're talking about a single word or entire document.

[ChrisA]

> Are English paragraphs hard to read because tokens like "HTML" and "IBM"
> are in all-caps?

Acronyms are a different use case for all caps. We can discuss the value
proposition for those in another thread if you'd like.
I will say that I read my share of research papers where acronyms tend to
see heavy use and, yes; it can harm readability.

[ChrisA]

> With constants that are taken directly from C, consistency is
> extremely helpful.

That's fair. I can live with it. The socket module was just an example.
There are several examples of all caps that aren't inherited from other
sources.

If datetime.MINYEAR and datetime.MAXYEAR were datetime.minyear and
datetime.maxyear what do you think the consequences would be?
Do you really think it's less clear?
Do you think timedelta.min, timedelta.max, and timedelta.resolution aren't
clear enough? How about string.digits? Should those shout at you that
they're constants? Why or why not?

[ChrisA]

> Are you going to appeal to Google to have *their* style guide changed too?

That's comparing apples and oranges. Python is an open language with an
ideas forum about how to improve things. Google generally isn't open to my
suggestions. Any given company I work with is much more likely to enforce
PEP-8 than Google's style guides. As far as I know, getting Google to adopt
a given idea isn't a precondition for the Python community accepting said
idea.

[ChrisA]

> treat PEP 8 as a guideline

Again, that's not always an option.