On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, at 09:22, Rhodri James wrote:
> > Allowing key value pairs in geitem need not change the interface of
> > getitem.   All the key value pairs could be collected as a dict and passed
> > to getitem as the index.
>
> Um.  Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't that exactly a change to the
> interface of getitem?

Missed this on my previous reply - I think his point is that that the
__getitem__ function *itself* would continue to take a singular positional
argument (and so the C API for tp_getitem etc wouldn't have to change), it
would merely be an additional way to construct that argument, just as x[a, b]
passes a tuple (a, b) rather than two positional arguments. Presumably, x[a, b,
c=d, e=f] would pass a tuple (a, b, {c: d, e: f}).