On Oct 16, 2019, at 22:35, Brandt Bucher <brandtbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At long last, Steven D'Aprano and I have pushed a second draft of PEP 584
> (dictionary addition):
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0584/

Minor nit: the formatting is broken in some of the examples of candidates. The
first one I noticed is the last Sphinx one.

Less trivial, but maybe dismissible: it says one of the authors is going to
write another PEP later to add the full complement of set operators to dict. I
don’t think anyone wants both + and | meaning the same thing, or wants set
operators named +/&/^/- instead of |/&/^/-. But this PEP argues compellingly
for + over | if we’re only adding merge. So wouldn’t you want to finish both
proposals and present them at the same time, with each one explicitly
invalidating the other, rather than presenting this one first with the side
effect of making the second one less compelling and/or more complicated if this
one gets accepted?

Finally: if Mapping and MutableMapping don’t get the operators (if you’re
following sequences, MutableSequence.__iadd__ exists but Sequence.__add__
doesn’t, I think?), will they be added manually to UserDict and ChainMap? (And
are there any other types that need that question?)