On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 02:39:41PM +0200, Richard Musil wrote:

> ```
> a = dict(...)
> b = dict(...)
> c = a |< b
> ```

> 2) Anyone finding this in the code, who does not now about the operator,
> will _not_ guess the wrong operation.

That's certainly true, but only because they will have absolutely no
clue at all about what |< could possibly mean. "Bitwise-or less-than"
perhaps, whatever that could mean.

You seem to have come up with a completely unique symbol which has, as
far as I can tell, never been used before. As far as I can see, neither
APL nor Perl use it as an operator. I can't see it in Unicode, or as an
emoticon.

Mathematicians are always coming up with new and obscure operators, so
it's possible that somebody has used this before. (To me, it most looks
like a variety of turnstile symbol |- or ⊢ used in logic.) If anyone
wants to trawl through the 300+ pages and 14,000+ symbols in the
comprehensive list of Latex symbols:

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/CTAN/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-a4.pdf

please be my guest.

It could be interpreted as an attempt to render the "not less-than"
mathematical symbol ≮ U+226E in pure ASCII Variants of that glyph
sometimes use a vertical, rather than slanted, bar.

> I know this has been somewhat addressed in PEP, but I simply cannot see,
> how adding another ambiguity to the '+' symbol, can be better, because the
> "familiarity" of '+' (which seems to me being an argument in the PEP) just
> hides the fundamental differences between this '+' and the other ones
> (arithmetic, or concatenation).

Perhaps it does. But inventing obscure and cryptic symbols like |<
simply hides the fundamental similarities between adding two
dictionaries and other forms of addition.

Numerous people have independentally come up with the idea of using the
plus symbol for adding two dicts. To many people, the use of + for this
purpose is obvious and self-explanatory, and it is a reoccurring source
of puzzlement why Python doesn't support dict addition.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6005066/adding-dictionaries-together-python

But until now, I'm pretty sure that *nobody* before you thought of using
the |< operator for dict addition. Congratulations :-)

If this PEP accomplishes nothing else, at least it will be a single
source of information about dict addition the next hundred times
somebody asks "Why can't I add two dicts?"

*wink*

--
Steven