On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 9:23 PM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 08:50:06PM +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 8:33 PM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> > > The most complicated feature I can think of is whether we should allow
> > > escaping spaces or not:
> > >
> > >     names = %w[Aaron Susan Helen Fred Mary\ Beth]
> > >     names = %w[Aaron Susan Helen Fred Mary%x20Beth]
> > >

> > The second one? No. If you want that, use a post-processor or something.
>
> Ouch! Sorry, that was a brain-fart, I meant \x20 like in a string.

Oh! Then I withdraw the objection, heh.

> We surely will want to support the standard range of string escapes, not
> just ASCII identifiers, so once you support string escapes, you get \x20
> for free. The words should be arbitrary sequences of Unicode characters,
> not just limited to identifiers.

If you have string escapes, is "\]" a literal close bracket? It isn't
in a string literal, and yet people will expect to be able to escape
the delimiter. I think the proposal would work fine with a restricted
alphabet for the tokens, with room to potentially expand it in the
future.

ChrisA