On 2019-11-03 01:21, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 12:23:02AM -0700, Brendan Barnwell wrote:

        For the record, I have always thought that str.join should call str
        on all its arguments.  The fact that it doesn't is really annoying.

Given:

     values = ["Hello", b"World"]

would you expect ' '.join(values) to return

     "Hello b'World'"

because that's what you'll get calling str automatically.

It wouldn't be ideal, but yes, I would prefer that to the current situation where `' '.join(['a', 1])` is an error.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."