On 2019-11-11 16:13, David Mertz wrote:
I implemented this discussed arrow operator in vim with conceal plugin.  This is an example given in PEP 572.  It looks perfectly fine.  It also does not require ANY change to Python-the-language.  It just means that I can type ':' followed by '=' to get that, rather than type 'Alt+Shift', '2', '1', '9', '0'.  So fewer keystrokes. No chording.  Easier to type.  And what gets saved to disk is good old plain ASCII.

I like your solution and think it looks great, though perhaps you forgot the space behind it? I'm not a huge fan of how modern Python is putting colons everywhere so this helps a tiny bit.

I don't hate how it looks, but I really, really don't get how it's supposed to "transform my thinking about coding" to have a slightly different glyph on screen.

Probably would need several, as CB mentioned below.  Still, debatable.

I mean, as shown in this example and a previous one I posted a screenshot of, I think it's cute and geeky to use a few math symbols in the same way in my editor.  I've been doing that for a few years, and it never got beyond "slightly cute."

Guessing there were a few rare curmudgeons who didn't think we needed lowercase letters before ascii and still a few who don't want syntax highlighting either. I realize we're hitting the land of diminishing returns on text, but once features are gained I know I don't want to go back.

For example, I use many useful Unicode symbols in my text strings and console output. Billions of folks are using non-latin alphabets right now because Python3 makes it easy. All modern systems can handle them, why not? And input is not an significant issue, though it depends on the block.