On 04/12/2019 12:44, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer wrote:
Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
http://www.pythonmembers.club | https://github.com/Abdur-rahmaanJ
Mauritius

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019, 15:16 Rhodri James, <rho...@kynesim.co.uk> wrote:

Which is a problem because...?

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd

An advantage. If the topic goes round several times, the mods closing the
topic freezes the thread so that the thread does not gets filled with
unnecessary details. Python threads are bit like a plane from Paris bound
for London via direct flight but which sometimes detours through Tokyo and
Manilla. In fact you might ask yourself HOW in the world are you in São
Paulo.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you said. I thought that you were complaining that its too easy to dig threads (and misunderstood what "digging threads" meant to you). You're actually complaining about the opposite; that it's too hard to mine threads for information.

Sorry, but that's true of any conversation. If you want information out of a thread, you are going to have to put in the work of reading and comprehending it. The only way around that is to get a technical PA to read and comprehend it for you and produce a summary. Sometimes someone is inspired to do that, and a FAQ appears. Mostly you're on your own.

Closing down threads isn't going to help. It may reduce the clutter that the solitary piece of information you are interested in is buried under, but it also increases the chance that the information isn't there at all. More to the point, it isn't going to make the thread any less convoluted.

Another advantage of the proposed idea might be to make programmers more
responsible by writing what is necessary and as in depth as possible.

Um. I've sat on and chaired a lot of committees in my time, with a lot of different rules of engagement. I have not seen any approach to discussion that has made anyone be more responsible, succinct or accurate. Attempting to curtail discussion usually has the opposite effect, and puts everyone in a bad mood for the next item as well.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd