On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, at 14:50, MRAB wrote:
> On 2019-12-06 18:24, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas wrote:
> > On Dec 6, 2019, at 09:51, Random832 <random...@fastmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> If match objects are too hard to use, maybe they should be made more
> >> user-friendly? What about adding str and iterable semantics to match
> >> objects so it can be used as str(re.search(...)); tuple(re.search(...));
> >> a, b = re.search(...)?
> >
> > That’s a clever idea, and it might work.
> >
> 1. Match objects are also be returned by re.match, and you wouldn't
> expect that to look for more matches.

I'm not sure what you meant by looking for more matches, though I suspect it's
because, as below, I wasn't clear with what I meant by iterable semantics.

> 2. What would tuple(re.search(...)) do? Wouldn't it do the same as
> tuple(re.findall(...))?

I intended the tuple [well, the iterable semantics that would allow the tuple
call to succeed] to return m.groups(), i.e. the same tuple as re.findall()[0]
does when the re contains capturing groups. Sorry for not making that clear
enough.

> 3. a, b = re.search(...) would fail if it didn't return exactly 2
> matches

2 capturing groups, not 2 matches. Again, sorry for not making that explicitly
clear.