On Dec 8, 2019, at 22:01, Tim Peters <tim.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, another change I'd make is to break the tradition of coding every
> itertools function in C.  That makes the implementation bar much
> higher, and the other similar packages (more_itertools,
> toolz.itertools) don't bother.  There's also that pypy has trouble
> optimizing code using itertools heavily, _because_ it's written in C
> instead of Python.

Didn’t PyPy already make the fix years ago of rewriting all of itertools (for
both 2.7 and 3.3 or whenever) as “Python builtins” in the underlying namespace?

Also, even if I’m remembering wrong, just writing a Python module in front of
the C module, with most of the functions still being C-only, wouldn’t help
PyPy. You’d still need to port every function to Python (and be aware that the
“equivalent code” in the help is usually only a rough equivalent with subtle
differences, so you’d have to spot, fix, and write unit tests for all of
those), with the C only an optional accelerator, a la PEP 399 (the requirements
for C accelerators in newly-added modules).

Which is far from impossible, it’s just more work than it seems like anyone’s
ever been willing to do each time it comes up (and you’re right, it comes up
every time a new potentially useful itertools tool is proposed…). If someone
cares about first enough to finally do that, I’m +1 on the proposal instead of
0.