[Guido, on Pythons before 1.0.2 always printing non-None expression
 statement results]
> Heh. That was such a misfeature that I had thoroughly suppressed any
> memory of its existence. -k indeed. :-)

I prefer to think of it as a bit of genius :-)

The natural desire to avoid mounds of useless output taught all of us,
core developers and end users, to code mutating methods as procedures
(always return None) rather than functions.

The thing that amazed me at the time (and still does with hindsight!)
is how very few complaints that attracted!  Because it really was a
horrible misfeature ;-)