On 1/21/2020 4:32 PM, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas wrote:
What would the semantics of nameof be in Python? Would it just be lambda obj:
obj.__name__? Or some fancy inspect-module style chain of “try this, then that,
then the other”? Or does it need to look at the compiled source code context or
something?

I think some wrapper around inspect.getmembers() would be the easiest/best thing to do.

dict(inspect.getmembers(obj))['__name__']

With some error checking for the KeyError if inspect.getmembers can't get a name for the object you passed in.

There are probably more performant ways to write this, but this was my easy one-liner version.

Eric