Hi Aaron, and welcome!

Your proposal would be a lot more interesting to me if I knew what this
binary ~ would actually do, without having to go learn R or LaTeX.

You say:

> I think it would be awesome to have in the language, as it would allow
> modelling along the lines of R that we currently only get with text,
> e.g.:
>
> smf.ols(formula='Lottery ~ Literacy + Wealth + Region', data=df)
>
> With a binary context for ~, we could write the above string as pure
> Python

I'm confused. Why can't you just write

    'Lottery ~ Literacy + Wealth + Region'

as a literal string? That's an exact copy and paste from your example,
and it works for me.

--
Steven