Well... also, the meaning in R is quite a bit different from any of the
meanings suggested by Wolfram.  In fact, although the most common use in R
is "depends on", it's technically just a generic delayed evaluation without
any inherent semantics at all.  Or, that is to say, tilde is just a certain
kind of quotation, and we already have quotation in Python.