On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 8:16 AM David Mertz <me...@gnosis.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 4:08 PM Alex Hall <alex.moj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Even when there is a wealth of code out there that will become broken
>>> by this change?
>>

>> Not broken, just noisy.
>

> Noisy *IS* broken!
>
> In some ways it's one of the worst kinds of broken.  Working with libraries
> that import other libraries and trigger warnings that have nothing to do with
> MY code is super annoying.  I know this is a thorny question, since too-quiet
> means things don't change, and too noisy means users get warnings they are
> helpless to deal with.

Exactly. Also, there are two possible futures: either it eventually
becomes an error (in which case it will be broken in a more direct
sense), or it remains permanently a noise (in which case the correct
thing to do will be to silence the silly meaningless warning and just
go about your daily life). Take your pick - which one are you
advocating?

ChrisA