On 03/06/2020 04:03 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 12:45:28PM -0800, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas wrote:

Well, I like the idea if someone can come up with a good naming
scheme—something that at least reminds me which function is the “set
of chars” stripper and which the “substring” stripper,

You've been a Python programmer for how many years now? Do you currently
have trouble remembering what lstrip and rstrip do?

Speaking for myself, about 13 years.  And, yes, I do occasionally forget that
the strips are character based.  I can easily imagine it's worse for polyglot
programmers.

We already have `[l|r]strip` methods. If we want to associate the new
methods with those, I suggest

     strip_prefix
     strip_suffix

Works for me.  Easy to add to bytes, too, if somebody is so inclined.

--
~Ethan~