I have implemented a class in the C code of the collections module which
has similar behavior to the defaultdict class. This class, dynamicdict,
supplies values for keys that have not yet been added using a default
factory callable, but unlike defaultdict, the missing key itself is passed
to the callable. This code can be seen here:
https://github.com/swfarnsworth/cpython/blob/3.8/Modules/_collectionsmodule.c#L2234

While this does introduce a lot of redundant code, I'm not sure how it
could be done without copying the implementation of the defaultdict class
and adjusting how the default factory is called. For example, I don't
believe that it's possible to support both behaviors within the defaultdict
class without breaking backwards compatibility or adding another parameter
to the constructor for the defaultdict class.

I don't know if a PEP is needed for this to be added to the standard
library, or if it's something that anyone other than myself wants to see
added, but I would be happy to further explain the concept, implementation,
potential use cases, or anything else that might work towards the adoption
of this feature.

Regards,
Steele