On Apr 20, 2020, at 13:03, Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:

> On 4/20/2020 3:39 PM, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas wrote:
>>

>> As I said, wanting to check does come up sometimes—I know I have written
>> this myself at least once, and I’d be a little surprised if it’s not in
>> more-itertools.
>
> Interestingly, it looks like it it might be more_itertools.zip_equal, which
> is listed at https://github.com/more-itertools/more-itertools, but is linked
> https://more-itertools.readthedocs.io/en/stable/api.html#more_itertools.zip_equal
>  which is missing. Maybe it's new?

Yeah, it is new. See PR 415
(https://github.com/more-itertools/more-itertools/pull/415) 21 days ago. There
must be something in the air that’s made people suddenly want this more. :)

The PR does a great job linking to other discussions about this, including an
-ideas thread from two years ago. I haven’t read through everything yet, but I
notice that the first objection last time around was David Mertz pointing out
that it’s not even in more-itertools, so maybe that more-itertools PR means
it’s the perfect time to reopen this discussion? Or maybe it means we should
wait a few months and see if people seem to be using the one in more-itertools?
(And also maybe to wait for it to stabilize—there are a few bug fix commits to
it after the initial merge.)