On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 12:52:01 +1000
Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 01:07:07AM +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 08:34:56 +1000
> > Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> > > Wait, are suggesting that zip should raise by default (after a suitable
> > > deprecation period)?
> >
> > "if some data is ignored"
>
> Yes, I saw that and I understood it. It goes without saying that it
> would only raise if there was data remaining in one or more iterables
> after some iterable was exhausted. I didn't think I needed to spell out
> every fine detail to ask such a simple question.
>
> Are you suggesting that in the future, after a suitable deprecation
> period, the default zip() builtin function should raise an exception "if
> some data is ignored"?
>
> Is this is serious proposal that you would like to see happen, or are
> you just mentioning it for the sake of mentioning all the options?

Ideally, that's what it would do.  Whether it's desirable to transition
to that behaviour is an open question.

But, as far as I'm concerned, the number of times where I took
advantage of zip()'s current acceptance of heteregenously-sized inputs
is extremely small.  In most of my uses of zip(), a size difference
would have been a logic error that deserves noticing and fixing.

Regards

Antoine.