Thanks for weighing in, everybody.

Over the course of the last week, it has become surprisingly clear that this
change is controversial enough to require a PEP.

With that in mind, I've started drafting one summarizing the discussion that
took place here, and arguing for the addition of a boolean flag to the `zip`
constructor. Antoine Pitrou has agreed to sponsor, and I've chatted with
another core developer who shares my view that such a flag wouldn't violate
Python's existing design philosophies.

I'll be watching this thread, and should have a draft posted to the list for
feedback this week.

Brandt