On 05/05/2020 17:26, Henk-Jaap Wagenaar wrote:
This is a straw man in regards to backwards compatibility. This particular
(sub)thread is about whether if this zip-is-strict either as a separate
name or a Boolean flag or some other flag of zip should be a built-in or be
in e.g. itertools.

It is not about breaking backwards compatibility (presumably by making it
the default behaviour of zip).

Except that that's part of the thinking involved in choosing a flag instead of the usual new function. No one (I think) is claiming that we should break backwards compatibility and default to strict=True, but having the flag is a strong statement that length-checking is an intrinsic part of zipping. I don't believe that's true, and in consequence I think adding a flag is a mistake.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd