On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:27 AM David Mertz <me...@gnosis.cx> wrote:

> The only precedent that jumps out for me is itertools.chain() and
> itertools.chain.from_iterable(). It's quite likely that something I don't use
> much has used the same pattern though.

(Please don't top-post - you're making it hard to give proper context.
Precedent for what?)

That's an example of a very common pattern of alternate constructors.
So if you want to parallel that with zip, the most logical way would
be something like zip.from_same_length_iterables() or some
abbreviation. And then zip_longest could become
zip.from_iterables_and_fill().

I don't see that this would be an advantage, but hey, it's plausible :)

ChrisA