On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 1:26 AM Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > But wait a minute, zip isn't just a "callable", it's a class, and adding
> more methods to it seems perfectly natural, just like lots of other
> built-in classes.
>

>> Zip is a class in CPython 3.8. it may or may not be in other
>> implementations or versions. The API users are currently promised says
>> nothing about it needing to be implemented as a class.
>>

> and it was a function in 2.7.
> a zip instance on the other hand, returns an iterable, that does not
> provide any other methods or uses. I have to say, I have not idea why zip
> is a class rather than a function that returns a zip_iterator instance, but
> it is certainly an implementation detail.

It seems common in all the utility "functions" that make iterators.  I
haven't tried everything, but for example:

>>> type(map), type(filter), type(itertools.count), type(itertools.product)

But I didn't know those until I looked... and I don't HAVE TO know for any
practical use of them.  As Chris notes, it's an implementation detail,
subject to change.

--
The dead increasingly dominate and strangle both the living and the
not-yet born.  Vampiric capital and undead corporate persons abuse