On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 04:42:22PM +0100, Rhodri James wrote:
> On 07/05/2020 10:11, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> The biggest argument against a second "equals" operator, however it is
> spelt, is confusion.  Which of these two operators do I want to use for
> this subtly different question of equality?  Even where we have quite
> distinct concepts like "==" and "is", people still get muddled.  If we
> have "==" and "=OMG=" or whatever, that would just be an accident
> waiting to happen.

I don't think so. The confusion with `is` is particularly acute
for at least two reasons:

- in regular English it can be a synonym for equals, as in "one and
  one is two, two and two is four";
- it seems to work sometimes: `1 + 1 is 2` will probably succeed.

If the operator was named differently, we probably wouldn't have many
people writing `1 + 1 idem 2` or `1 + 1 dasselbe 2` when they wanted
equality.

I doubt many people would be confused whether they wanted, let's say,
the `==` operator or the `same_items` operator, especially if `1 + 1
same_items 2` raised a TypeError.

--
Steven