On 24/05/20 10:26 am, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2020 13:25:50 +1200
Greg Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
Or maybe we could leverage the new walrus operator and write

      str := (int)

With the idea that someone may confuse ":=" for "<-", so we can swap
result and argument types comparing to their natural/intuitive order?

No, with the idea of making use of an already-legal expression and
not introducing any new syntax into the grammar.

But we indeed can treat
":=" as a function operator in annotations, and write:

(int) := str

But that would be backwards with respect to the flow of data when
:= is used for assignment. Also, it is not currently legal syntax
when there is more than one argument, because := doesn't support
unpacking.

--
Greg