On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 06:48:55PM +0300, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> 21.05.20 16:45, Alex Hall пише:
> >≥ instead of >= might be an improvement because that's a
> >symbol learned in school, but ultimately the student still needs to
> >learn what `>=` means as it will be used most of the time.
>
> But in my school I learned ⩾, not ≥. It was used in USSR and I believe
> in other European countries (maybe it is French or Germany tradition?).

As far as I am aware, there is no mathematical difference between the
two greater-than-or-equal operators ⩾ and ≥ it is a purely stylistic
issue, just as some fonts use two lines in dollar signs and some only
one. I don't know why Unicode gives them two different code points, but
if I were a betting man, I would put money on it being because some
legacy character set provided them both.

(One of the motivations of Unicode is to allow the round-tripping from
every common legacy charset without loss.)

> If Python will become accepting ≥ as an alias of >=, I insist that it
> should accept also ⩾. And ⊃, because it is the symbol used for superset
> relations for sets (currently written as >= in Python).

An annoying thing about superset and subset operators is that
mathematicians don't agree on whether the superset symbol ⊃ is strict or
not. This is why we also have unambiguous symbols ⊇ (superset-or-equal)
and ⊋ (strict superset not equal).

> And maybe other
> national or domain specific mathematical symbols. Imagine confusion when
> >=, ≥, ⩾ and ⊃ are occurred in the same program.

Imagine the confusion if somebody had variables spam, Spam, sPAM, SPam,
sPAm. Or worse, SPΑM, SPАM and SPAM.

*wink*

Let's not worry too much encouraging people's bad habits. People can
write obfuscated code in any language. I am sure that before this is a
problem, linters and code formatters like black will keep it under
control.

--
Steven