-1 on this new functionality

Referring again to PEP 3106, and its support for views - this was inspired
by the functionality seen with java.util.Map. Now that dict is sort of like
java.util.LinkedHashMap - albeit safe for concurrent operations* - it's
worth exploring if there's anything in the expanded API of LinkedHashMap vs
Map that could inspire us for additions to Python.

I honestly don't see anything there. It is possible for LinkedHashMap to
support cache behavior, through the use of removeEldestEntry (= potentially
to pop on Python dict views, which then update the parent dict) and using
access-based ordering (so more functionality than in Python currently), but
in Java, this has been superseded in real usage by actually using
specialized caches such as seen in Guava or Caffeine
https://www.javadoc.io/doc/com.github.ben-manes.caffeine/caffeine/latest/index.html.
(In turn, it's possible to use a Caffeine-based cache to support a
lock-free version of LinkedHashMap - such caches are more general.)

We see the same thing in lru_cache in Python. Although it uses a dict as
part of its implementation, this is further wrapped with a linked list
(rather cleverly) to track access, whether in the pure Python
implementation
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Lib/functools.py#L479 or in
the C equivalent. In general, such composite structures are exactly what
the original poster would need. In that case, following the use case of
working with database schema, it is just a matter of maintaining two
indexes, one by name, the other by position.

We should keep the most heavily accessed object type in Python as
lightweight as possible, and then build interesting structures around it,
just like we always do.

*Due to the interaction of C code, Python code, and the GIL, dict in the
CPython reference implementation can be treated as lock free, and this is
how it is implemented in Jython with a ConcurrentHashMap.

- Jim