On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, at 13:26, Stestagg wrote:
> Obviously, python is a general-purpose, turing complete language, so
> each of these options can be written in other ways. But it would be
> nice if the simple, readable versions also worked :D
>
> The idea that there are future, unspecified changes to dicts() that may
> or may not be hampered by allowing indexing sounds like FUD to me,
> unless there are concrete references?

Does the current implementation support indexing? It is certainly possible in
principle to preserve ordering without indexing, for example if a linked list
is used to support the ordering, or if items are stored in an array where
deleted items leave holes permanently until the dict is resized.

I don't know how dict works, but I am not sure how you would support indexing
while also allowing deletion to be O(1). A specific random key function would
be narrower in scope than this, and for anyone who wants full sequence support,
perhaps that could be added to OrderedDict.