On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 1:05 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 04:08:54PM +0200, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>
> > I re-opened the ticket to allow for some discussion over there in order to
> > understand the implications better. But I agree that a third-party package
> > on PyPI seems like a good first step, also as a backport.
>
> Perhaps I have misunderstood, but isn't this a pure implementation
> change, with no user visible API changes and backward compatible output?
>
> So why does it need to go on PyPI first? It isn't as if we need to wait
> to see whether there is demand for faster reading and writing of gzip
> files, or for the API to settle down.

That's exactly what I'm asking too - it should have compatible output,
but does it have a compatible API? If it does - if you can drop it in
and everything behaves equivalently - then it sounds like the sort of
thing that can be included in Python 3.10 with minimal fuss. But if
the API is different, it might be worth creating a wrapper with the
old API (and then it *still* can just get included in 3.10).

ChrisA