On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 11:26 PM Simon <simon.borde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The standard library module http.server already has 2 request handlers, with
> SimpleHTTPRequestHandler and CGIHTTPRequestHandler, the first serves files
> from a directory, and the second executes CGI scripts.
>
> Two new handlers could be included in the standard library :
>
> - WebhookRequestHandler : Would spin up an HTTP server that one could connect
> webhooks to. Webhooks are really useful when dealing with APIs. So far, the
> third-party package, requests, is used when interacting with Web APIs, but
> there is nothing in the standard library that implements the webhook standard.
>
> - APIRequestHandler : This can be more controversial, especially with
> third-party packages like Flask, starlette, and django that will be much more
> powerful and secure than this, but this handler would be used to spin up a
> server that would make it easy to serve a simple restful API.

Not really in favour of "API" as a name. If you want a simple RESTful
API framework, I'd call it something with REST in the name. But I'm
not sure that that's needed, since you'd quickly outgrow a simple
class and need to go for Flask/Django/etc.

Webhooks are very tempting. There's a lot to be said for properly
implementing this protocol in the standard library. It might be a bit
harder, though, since it basically wants asynchronous or threaded I/O.
Maybe this would be a good addition to asyncio?

ChrisA