On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 4:08 PM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> [...]
> Finally, I am unsure how you would deal with the difference between d[1]
> and d[1,], which must be preserved (for `__keyfn__ = True` or absent, for
> backwards compatibility). The bytecode compiler cannot assume to know the
> value of `__keyfn__` (because d could be defined in another module or could
> be an instance of one of several classes defined in the current module). (I
> think this problem is also present in the `__subscript__` version.)

This problem is actually also present in Steven's version (which just
passes keyword args as **kwargs to `__getitem__` and `__setitem__`). We
could treat d[1, a=3] either as d[1,] + kwargs or as d[1] + kwargs. Have
people debated this yet?

(It is not a problem in Jonathan's version for `__keyfn__ = None`, but
since the proposal also has to support `__keyfn__ = True`, it is still a
problem there.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*