On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:56:25PM -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Is there any guarantee in Python or the C spec, or the IEEE spec that, e.g.:
>
> 1e10000
>
> would create an Inf value, rather than an error of some sort?

IEEE-754 requires that float literals overflow to infinity.

I don't have a source for this (I cannot find a copy of the IEEE-754
standard except behind paywalls) but I have a very strong memory of
either Tim Peters and Mark Dickinson stating this, and I believe them.
(If either of them are reading this, please confirm or deny.)

> And there's still NaN -- any way to get that with a literal?

If you have an INF, then you can generate a NAN with `INF - INF`.

In general though, Python doesn't support generating the full range of
NANs with payloads directly.