I probably should have added "user exposed" or something to my comment.
Those extra bits certainly seem to offer compiler optimization
possibilities, as apparently SpiderMonkey does with WASM.

I can easily *imagine* a library like NumPy or PyTorch deciding to expose
something useful with those 52 unused mantissa bits. But that's some future
version, if ever.