On Fri, Sep 18, 2020, 8:44 AM Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:

> On 9/18/2020 8:19 AM, Ricky Teachey wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020, 8:17 AM Ricky Teachey <ri...@teachey.org> wrote:
>

>> Why not just grow a parse method on str that returns a dict and do it
>> this way?
>>

>> q = "{a} {b}"
>> p = "1 2"
>> (a, b) = q.parse(p)
>>

> Sorry that should have been:
>
> (a, b) = q.parse(p).values()
>
> I don't understand why returning a dict is useful. Unless this becomes as
> complicated as regexes with grouping, etc. (in which case: use a regex),
> the values will be returned in the order they appear in the template
> string. So just have it return a tuple:
>
> a, b = q.parse(p)
>
> Or for something that could be written today:
>
> a, b = parse("{:d} {:d}", "1 2")
> assert a == 1 and b == 2
>
> I don't see the need for new syntax or new ways to assign values. You're
> not even removing any duplication compared to:
>
> f"{a:d} {b:d}" = "1 2"

The larger point I'm really making is that adding parsing support of this
kind to the language is a topic that needs to stand on its own without
special f string magical syntax. regardless of how it's spelled, whether
it's a parse function or a parse method or something else, that is what
needs to be discussed first not magical syntax.