On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:19 AM Wes Turner <wes.tur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 8:09 PM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 8:17 AM Wes Turner <wes.tur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > What a worthless semantic distinction.
>> >
>> > You don't want to be executing code to determine why an Exception occurred
>> > because you do not trust support devs to access all of the data in the
>> > production system.
>> >
>> > "Exceptions happen" is true, but that's not satisfactory in an
>> > organization focused on quality.
>> >

>> .... wut?
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean here. Sometimes a traceback isn't all
>> the information, and you need to add code to something to figure out
>> the cause. Are you implying that, because I actually put effort into
>> tracking bugs down, I am clearly not focused on quality??
>>
>> I'll just go ahead and repeat myself: "what?"
>

> - The context of this tangent was ~"[Exceptions happen in production] and
> that's okay".
>   - Looseness with exception handling is entirely unacceptable for
> safety-critical and high availability applications.
>     - *Interactive debugging* is fine for many non-production applications.
>     - Yup, the process spawner is going to reap and restart when the process
> fails due to an unhandled Exception,
>        but data loss due to unhandled exceptions (and non-transactional data
> persistence) is a real problem
>        - "It's just going to raise whatever sometimes and you can just pdb it
> every time"
> - You can add information to exceptions and preserve the traceback with
> `raise _ from _`
>
> I have nothing further to add about this non-personal tangent.

Okay, I can see what's happening. You're assuming that "debugging"
means "interactive debugging in a specialized harness". I consider
"debugging" to be "anything done with a view to removing a bug". So by
my definition, debugging in production is normal, and by yours, it's
impossible/unwise. I think we're just arguing terminology here, and
either way, checked exceptions won't really help.

There's nothing further to debate - we just use the word "debugging"
differently. :)

ChrisA