On 16/10/2020 22:02, Paul Moore wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 at 20:43, Jonathan Crall <erote...@gmail.com> wrote:
@Chris Angelico If you are more application focused, or trying to get a
scientific result, and you don't care too much about the reusability of your
scripts, then I can see the validity of this use case. But I would not want to
install a module on pypi that made use of this. From a software perspective
this is 100% bad practice, but from a practitioner perspective --- and there
are a lot of practitioners that only use Python as a tool (like a DSL) --- I
can see wanting it.

So, that's the question: does the Python stdlib want to let you do this? Will
the number of software engineers who use this incorrectly outweigh the number
of people who seem to want this for a valid reason? I'm not sure what the
answer is.

Why is this the question?  Any feature can be misused.  That some users will misuse it is not IMHO a reason to deprive those users who will use it correctly.
Best wishes
Rob Cliffe