On 2020-11-24 00:05, Chris Angelico wrote:

>I'm still confused what the point is of a zipapp, if it can't be a proper
point and click GUI thing, and it can't use any compiled extensions. How it is it
better than a console_script and a pip-installed package??

It CAN be a proper point-and-click GUI thing. You can have a fully
executable Python script if it has no dependencies (just distribute a
single .py file with a shebang at the top), and if you can't do that,
bundle it into a .pyz with zipapp and, again, put a shebang for posix
platforms. Windows, if the py.exe launcher is installed, will happily
let you double-click on a .py or .pyz and it'll run just fine.

I think by "proper point-and-click GUI thing" he meant the app itself is a GUI app, not just "can be launched via the OS GUI". At least, that is what I would mean by that, and that is what can't be done without C extensions, because most GUI toolkits require C extensions.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."