On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 08:20:19AM +0000, Mathew M. Noel via Python-ideas wrote:

> Circular indexing will only extend the range of allowable indices to the set
> of
> all integers !!!

Is that supposed to be a feature, or a terrible threat?

[...]
> Deeper mathematical reason behind circular indexing is that it makes
> the use of negative indices logically consistent

Negative indices are already logically consistent. Python's model
for sequences is a *linear* sequence, not a circular sequence, and
negative indices counting from the end is no less logical than positive
indices counting from the start.

Please stop wasting our time by claiming "logical consistency" as a
unique benefit of your proposal. We already have logical consistency in
a linear model, changing to a circular model doesn't add anything we
don't already have.

> and simplifies
> implementation of the widely used convolution operation in signal
> processing.

For the benefit of the 99.9% of Python programmers who have no idea
what this "convolution operation" is, can you give an example? It's okay
if it is a simplified example, even pseudo-code, so long as it is
realistic.

Please remember that the Python ecosystem supports programmers who are
not just working in signal processing or machine learning, but system
administrators, educators, students, hobbyists, web developers, business
programming, natural language processing, graphics processing, and a
host of other fields. For most of these fields, a circular model for
sequences will be a step backwards, not forward.