On 2020-11-27 at 14:32:11 +0100,
Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 07:32:17 -0500
> 2qdxy4rzwzuui...@potatochowder.com
> wrote:
> >
> > I come from old(er) school (1980s, 1990s) embedded systems, and who
> > "owns" a particular mutable data structure and how/where it gets mutated
> > always came up long before we wrote any code.  No, I'm not claiming that
> > pre-ansi C and assembler are more productive or less runtime error prone
> > than newer languages, but is this feature only necessary because
> > "modern" software development no longer includes a design phase or
> > adequate documentation?
>
> "Modern" software development is just like older software development
> in that regard: sometimes it includes a design phase and/or adequate
> (i.e. sufficiently precise) documentation, sometimes it doesn't.

Fair enough.  :-)

(In my case, memory was a scarce resource and we emphasized
documentation about it.)

> > Memory management implementation details is a long way from
> > executable pseudo code.  (30 years is a long time, too.)
>
> This isn't really about memory management, though.

It reminds me of "use after free" errors.  Whenever Rust comes up, I
think of memory management.  Call me biased.  :-)

Also, in Serhiy's example,¹ if Client.send "moved" headers, then it
could also free the memory associated with that dictionary at the end
(although I realize that that may not always be the case).  Many times,
freeing memory sooner is better.

¹
https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/VBB3XGUNTF75J6O5PSTYYRSNTRMQP74H