On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 07:50:20 +1100
Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 02:15:50PM -0500, nate lust wrote:
>
> > It would be convenient if you could mark in source code that you intended a
> > resource to be "moved" and any further access through other bindings are
> > not what was intended. This would help catch logic bugs during type
> > checking, instead of hitting this issue at runtime.
>
> I can't help but feel that if your code relies on the concept of
> "moving" an object, your concept is already at odds with Python's object
> and execution model.

Lots of code probably relies on it.  As soon as you wrap a file-like
object in a higher-level construct, for example a ZipFile, you'd better
not do anything again with the file-like object (*) but let the ZipFile
be the sole owner of that object.  Same if you pass an open socket to a
HTTP library, or anything similar.

(*) except closing it at the end, perhaps.

Regards

Antoine.