On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 8:49 AM Brendan Barnwell <brenb...@brenbarn.net> wrote:
>         To my mind, every time a change is made to Python behavior there must
> be a corresponding change to the main documentation describing the
> change.  I would go so far as to say that the lack of such documentation
> updates should be a blocker on the release of the feature.  Features
> without complete documentation in a straightforward place on
> python.org/docs (not the PEPs!) should not be shipped.

It's not that simple. As one example, consider zipapp:

https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.5.html#whatsnew-zipapp

It existed for a long time before that, and technically WAS
documented, but nobody knew about it. Would you say that Python would
have been better off leaving this feature languishing on the bug
tracker for lack of adequate documentation? What does "adequate" even
mean? (Or to use your term, "complete"? Perhaps even harder to
define.)

Documentation bugs are bugs to be fixed, just like any other. Rather
than complaining that this should have prevented the feature from
being released, just propose an improvement. Where should this be
documented? How should it be worded?

(I'd contribute actual wording myself, but I don't know the details of
the feature well enough. TBH, I only ever use ** with actual
dictionaries.)

ChrisA