On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 4:51 AM Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Joseph Martinot-Lagarde writes:
>
>  > One remark about this : .tar.gz files are the exception rather than
>  > the rule, and AFAIK maybe the only one ?
>
> Not really.  stem.ext -> stem.ext.zzz where zzz is a compression
> extension is a pretty common naming convention.  For me ext == 'tar'
> is by far the most common case (74%), 'tis true, but 'patch' (10%),
> 'txt' (6%), 'tab', 'gml', 'xml', 'svg', 'pdf', 'ps', ' dvi', 'diff',
> 'pdb', 'cpp', 'el', and 'data' also exist somewhere under $HOME.  I'll
> bet others show up if I search /usr, /var, and /opt.

Yep, and most of my man pages are compressed, so there's
usr/share/man/man1/*.1.gz and friends.

I'd say the most common case with multiple extensions is indeed
precisely two, where the first one is the type of file (or in the case
of man pages, the section), and the second is a compression format.
But there'll be less common cases too.

ChrisA