On 2021-01-10 at 05:03:08 +1100,
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 4:51 AM Stephen J. Turnbull
> <turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
> >
> > Joseph Martinot-Lagarde writes:
> >
> >  > One remark about this : .tar.gz files are the exception rather than
> >  > the rule, and AFAIK maybe the only one ?
> >
> > Not really.  stem.ext -> stem.ext.zzz where zzz is a compression
> > extension is a pretty common naming convention.  For me ext == 'tar'
> > is by far the most common case (74%), 'tis true, but 'patch' (10%),
> > 'txt' (6%), 'tab', 'gml', 'xml', 'svg', 'pdf', 'ps', ' dvi', 'diff',
> > 'pdb', 'cpp', 'el', and 'data' also exist somewhere under $HOME.  I'll
> > bet others show up if I search /usr, /var, and /opt.
>
> Yep, and most of my man pages are compressed, so there's
> usr/share/man/man1/*.1.gz and friends.
>
> I'd say the most common case with multiple extensions is indeed
> precisely two, where the first one is the type of file (or in the case
> of man pages, the section), and the second is a compression format.
> But there'll be less common cases too.

I also have a pile of whatever-x.y.z.* files, where the * is some kind
of compression extension and x.y.z is a major.minor.patch identifier.

Most of the time, my brain is big enough to spot where x.y.z ends and
the extension(s) begin(s), but throw in a version identifier like
4.3.beta, and all bets are off (unless I happen to know exactly what to
look for, in which case I wouldn't bother with a general purpose library
function that might make the wrong assumption).