El dom, 7 feb 2021 a las 3:08, MRAB (<pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com>) escribió:

> On 2021-02-07 00:57, Jonathan Crall wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > To be clear, in the proposed syntax:
> >
> >      if [condition] with [obj]:
> >          [code]
> >
> > Would behave exactly as:
> >
> >      if [condition]:
> >          with [obj]:
> >              [code]
> >
> > Is there any chance that this conditional context manager syntax might be
> > considered? Does anyone but myself think this might be a good idea?
> >
> -1. It's not that much shorter. You wouldn't be saving much typing or
> space.

TL;DR: -1 for other reasons

Space saved is similar to (really not necesary, but very convenient)
`elif`: 4 spaces by line. My doubts are not by space saved, instead are for
convenience. Nested ifs are very common contruction and there are not much
to thing about. I doubt than `with` after `if` and with same scope that
`if` isn't a very improbable structure.

Other thing strange about proposal is: why only with after if? What about
`else` (in `if`, `for`, `while`), `elif`, `for`, `while`? And in `try`,
`except`, `else`, `finally`? When is coherent an mixed `with` and when not?
As programmer I wan't think too much about language, so I need consistence
to get focused in resolve problems with it. If I see uncommon `with` after
`if` with same scope to be convenient, the other constructions needed to
coherence and consistence in language seems very very strange to need (or
even think in) syntactic sugar.

regards,

Javi